Under the Freedom of Information Act 1982, members of the public can gain access to documents or records held by Commonwealth agencies unless the document is within an exception or exemption specified in the legislation.
Generally, we do not hold documents about specific work health and safety investigations or workers compensation claims. For information about a work health and safety investigation or workers compensation claim, you can submit a request for information to the relevant work health and safety regulator or workers’ compensation claims manager.
How to make a freedom of information application
Applications for access to documents must:
- be provided in writing
- state that it is an application for the purposes of the FOI Act
- provide information about the document(s) you want
- give details about how notices can be sent to you (this can include an email address).
Applications can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
The Freedom of Information Officer
Safe Work Australia
GPO Box 641
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Fees and charges
Applications for freedom of information requests are free of charge including applications for internal review. No cost will apply where a person requests access to their personal information.
Fees and charges will apply:
- for search and retrieval, which will incur a $15 an hour charge
- for decision making (the first 5 hours is free, but after that a charge of $20 an hour will apply).
Fees and charges may be waived if:
- the payment of the fee or part of the fee would cause financial hardship to the applicant or person, on whose behalf the application was made
- a statutory timeframe is not met
- providing access to documents is in the general public interest or in the interest of a substantial section of the public.
Safe Work Australia is required by the FOI Act to publish a disclosure log on its website. The disclosure log lists information that has been released in response to an FOI access request.
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website contains additional information on the FOI Act.