Being a graduate at Safe Work Australia gives you all the benefits of joining our excellent team.
We welcome people with diverse skills and experiences, who want to contribute to healthy and safe Australian workplaces.
"The Safe Work Australia Graduate Program was the best way to launch my career in the Australian Public Service. I was well-supported to learn and develop diverse skills which have continued to serve my career."
Assistant Director, Psychosocial and Consultation Policy
What a Safe Work Australia graduate does
As one of our graduates, you’ll be based in Canberra and be a member of the Australian Public Service.
- get hands-on, practical experience
- contribute to our meaningful work
- learn and develop your skills.
As a graduate with us, you get the same benefits of working as part of our team, plus you will:
- take part in the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) Graduate Development Program
- do 3 workplace rotations to develop your skills and learn about the agency
- complete a major project, as part of the Graduate Development Program
- get mentoring.
We will also help you with:
- ongoing employment when you finish the graduate program
- moving if you live outside Canberra.
“I relocated to Canberra for the Safe Work Australia Graduate Program and was pleasantly surprised by the incredible network of APS graduates I connected with through learning and development classes and events.”
Applying to be a graduate
Email us your CV and a one-page pitch outlining why you want to work for Safe Work Australia.
We also employ graduates through:
- our current vacancies
- the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP) (register to get opportunity updates)
- the Indigenous Graduate Pathway (open for applications).
"The Graduate Program was a fantastic way to jump start my career and gain valuable experience in a range of areas. I encourage anyone looking for a challenging and rewarding experience to apply.”
Who is eligible to be a Safe Work Australia graduate?
To be a part of our 2024 graduate program you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed (within the last 5 years) or will complete by January 2024, an undergraduate or postgraduate degree with a credit average or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution
- undertake a police and character check
- be able to start full time work in Canberra by mid January 2024
- be willing to move to Canberra.
“A sense of curiosity, an openness to learn and most importantly, a genuine interest to improve health and safety outcomes for all workers in Australia will serve you well as a graduate at Safe Work Australia.”
High Risk Work Policy Officer
Data and STEM applicants
We are a participating agency in the data and STEM streams as part of the AGGP.
If you apply to one of these streams through the AGGP, a range of Australian Government agencies can consider you.
"Gaining exposure to diverse areas of WHS policy and legislative development across 3 workplace rotations enriched my understanding of WHS matters of national importance."
Work Heath and Safety Framework Policy Officer
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates
We also recruit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates through the Indigenous Graduate Pathway.
You only need to apply once to the Indigenous Graduate Pathway to access a range of opportunities in the Australian Government.
Email us to find out more about the graduate program.
“For me, the highlight of the Safe Work Australia Graduate Program was completing the major project. It was great to collaborate with other graduates on a meaningful project to enhance the health and safety of workers.”