As a national policy body, we shape healthier, safer and productive workplaces. Find out who we are, what we do, what we offer, and our vision and values.
Our work is to develop and improve work health and safety (WHS) and workers’ compensation arrangements across Australia.
We work with WHS regulators, industry groups and unions to achieve our goals to:
- make Australia a world leader in work health and safety and workers’ compensation
- help create healthy, safe and productive working lives for all Australians.
Working with our team
Our small agency has about 100 employees, mostly working in the Nishi Building, in Canberra.
- committed to professionalism, excellence and collaboration
- out-of-the-box thinkers with the drive and skill to see ideas happen.
We work in one of Canberra’s most interesting and progressive buildings.
It’s close to the city, Lake Burley Griffin and the Australian National University. The building is easily and highly accessible with:
- automatic entry and doors
- well-appointed kitchens and facilities
- open break out spaces
- sit-to-stand workstations
- toilets and showers
- disabled parking.
Diversity and inclusion
We take part in, diversity and inclusion activities, including:
- a staff-run Workplace Inclusion Network (WIN)
- the Australian Network on Disability
- Pride in Diversity
- the Diversity Council of Australia
- the Australian Breastfeeding Association
- a range of other corporate and charitable activities.
The way we achieve workforce diversity and inclusion, and a culture of respect and inclusiveness, are in our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2020 -2023 and our Reconciliation Action Plan.
Agency vision and values
Our vision is to create a great workplace that enables everyone to be and do their best. Only then can we be a centre of excellence in WHS and workers’ compensation data, research, policy and strategy.
Our vision is underpinned by our Agency values:
Our values are part of our everyday language and we use them in our day-to-day work.
What we offer
Our employees are engaged under the Public Service Act 1999.
Our terms and conditions are set out in the Safe Work Australia Enterprise Agreement 2019–2022.
We offer attractive working conditions, including:
- generous salaries
- employer superannuation contributions, leave entitlements and flexible work arrangements.
Read more about what we offer.
Workplace Inclusion Network (WIN)
The WIN is a staff-led group. They create a safe, respectful and inclusive workplace so that every employee can bring their true and whole selves to work.
Members, champions and our SES sponsor work together on our diversity and inclusion strategy, action plans, initiatives and events.
In 2018, they won the Network Award in the Australian Public Service Commission's Diversity and Gender Equality Awards.
People Strategy 2020–2021
Our People Strategy 2020–2021 sets the strategic direction of our human resources area.
It strengthens and leverages our workforce’s talents and guides how we invest in our people.
Want to work for us?
If this sounds like a place you would like to work, see the jobs we have available.
- About us page
- Australian Network on Disability
- Pride in Diversity
- Diversity Council of Australia
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2020-2023
- Reconciliation Action Plan
- People Strategy 2020-2021
- What we offer
- Public Service Act 1999
- Safe Work Australia Enterprise Agreement 2019-2022
- Current Vacancies