For statistics about injuries, diseases and deaths in the workplace, see:
- Australian workers compensation statistics
- Work-related traumatic injury fatalities
- Comparative performance monitoring
- Key work health and safety statistics
- Return to work
- Our data sets
We keep national data sets on WHS and workers’ compensation.
For information on these data sets, what they do and don’t have, and how to use them, see:
- National data sets (NDS) specification
- Traumatic injury fatalities (TIF) data set specification
- Explanatory notes on Safe Work Australia data sets
- Return to work
Types of research we publish
Each year, we get, analyse and report on WHS and workers’ compensation data for a national picture of work-related injuries, deaths and diseases.
We also undertake WHS and workers’ compensation research to explore issues in greater depth and to get insights into how the model WHS laws are working.
We include theoretical and applied research, using:
- mixed methods.
Our research framework
Our research framework guides our research decisions. It states our research should:
- have clear outcomes
- support our priorities
- not duplicate research occurring elsewhere
- be transparent
- be fit for purpose, analytical and practical
- be efficient and represent value for money.
Types of research we prioritise
We prioritise research that:
- focuses on nationally significant issues
- helps improve WHS and workers’ compensation policy, practice and outcomes
- supports the model WHS legislative framework and promotes consistency in workers’ compensation arrangements
- aligns with our national strategies, currently the Australian Work Health and Safety Strategy 2023-2033 and National Return to Work Strategy 2020-2030 .
Find research grants
GrantConnect has our current research grants under our 2021 Research Grant Program
If you would like to request data visit our Request data page
Type of occurrence classification system (TOOCS) 3rd Edition May 2008 | Safe Work Australia
Explanatory notes: National data set for compensation-based statistics for Safe Work Australia | Safe Work Australia
Explanatory notes: Traumatic injury fatalities for Safe Work Australia | Safe Work Australia