High risk work licences

  • Workers must have a licence before undertaking high risk work. High risk work can include:

  • Scaffolding work (as defined in the regulations)
  • Dogging and rigging work 
  • Operating certain types of cranes and hoists 
  • Operating a forklift truck 
  • Operating a reach stacker 
  • Operating a boom-type elevating work platform with a boom length of over 11 metres 
  • Operating a boiler, steam turbine or reciprocating steam engine

PCBU duties


Worker duties

You must ensure workers have a valid and current high risk work licence relevant for the high-risk work undertaken. 

You must also ensure the provision of any other information, training, instruction or supervision necessary to protect people from WHS risks.

Your PCBU has a duty to keep you and your workplace safe from WHS risks.

You must:

  • Only do high risk work you have a licence for
  • Comply with any conditions imposed on your licence
  • Keep your licence with you when undertaking high risk work activity
  • Report any changes to your WHS regulator in your personal and contact details within 14 days such as your address and phone number
  • Report to your WHS regulator as soon as possible if it becomes damaged, lost or stolen
  • Return your licence to your WHS regulator if they ask to

You also have a duty to take reasonable care of your own health and safety and that of others in the workplace including ensuring your acts and omissions don’t adversely affect others health and safety.

Comply with any reasonable instructions, policies and procedure given by your PCBU at the workplace, so far as is reasonably able to.

Getting a high-risk work licence

Registered training organisations (RTOs) train and assess people for high-risk work licences. Visit training.gov.au for RTOs that are approved to deliver nationally recognised training.  

Safe Work Australia is the national policy body for WHS. Safe Work Australia is not a regulator and does not issue licences. Your local WHS regulator has advice and information relevant to your jurisdiction, including information on obtaining a licence, replacement and renewal. 

For more information

  • Did you know

    The WHS regulator in your state or territory can provide practical advice, resources and tools to help you be safe when working in construction. They can also let you know which WHS laws apply to you.