In February 2023, Safe Work Australia provided the Decision Regulation Impact Statement: Managing the risks of respirable crystalline silica at work to Commonwealth, state and territory WHS ministers for their consideration. The report outlined options to manage risks from respirable crystalline silica at work and was informed by extensive stakeholder consultation and independent economic impact analysis.
On 28 February 2023, WHS ministers agreed to Safe Work Australia’s recommendations to address workplace exposure to respirable crystalline silica through national awareness and behaviour change initiatives, and further regulation of high-risk crystalline silica processes for all materials across all industries (including engineered stone). Safe Work Australia is currently working to implement these recommendations.
WHS ministers also requested Safe Work Australia undertake further analysis and consultation on the impacts of a prohibition on the use of engineered stone.
Commonwealth, state and territory WHS ministers met on 27 October 2023, and agreed Safe Work Australia publish the Decision Regulation Impact Statement: Prohibition on the use of engineered stone. The Decision RIS recommends a prohibition on the use of all engineered stone, irrespective of crystalline silica content, to protect the health and safety of workers. It was provided to WHS ministers on 16 August 2023 for their consideration and was informed by stakeholder consultation, independent economic analysis, and an expert review of evidence.
WHS ministers have agreed to meet again before the end of 2023 to consider the recommendations in the report.
- Decision Regulation Impact Statement - Managing the risks of respirable crystalline silica at work
- Consultation Regulation Impact Statement - Managing the risks of respirable crystalline silica - Engage consultation
- Prohibition on the use of engineered stone - Engage consultation
- Decision Regulation Impact Statement: Prohibition on the use of engineered stone
- Prohibition of engineered stone: Literature review and gap analysis