Model Work Health and Safety Act
This is the current version of the model WHS Act, dated 1 August 2023, which includes all amendments made since 2011. For the model WHS Act to have effect in a jurisdiction it must be implemented in that jurisdiction. Amendments to the model WHS Act do not automatically apply in a jurisdiction.
The Model Work Health and Safety Act have been amended by the Parliamentary Counsel’s Committee.
The Model Work Health and Safety Legislation Amendment (Offences and Penalties) 2023 includes amendments to the model WHS Act and model WHS Regulations including:
- amending the model WHS Act to include a jurisdictional note and model penalties for the offence of industrial manslaughter
- amending section 31 of the model WHS Act to clarify that an officer may commit a Category 1 offence under section 31 of the Act
- amending how WHS penalty provisions are expressed, increasing penalty amounts and providing for the indexation of penalty amounts
- inserting new provisions allowing for aggregation of conduct for body corporate PCBUs, and
- a technical amendment to regulations 55C and 55D (psychosocial regulations) to correct the placement of the regulation 9 note.
You can review the WHS laws in your jurisdiction.
Email us to request older versions of the model WHS Act.