Health monitoring guide for nickel
This guide helps doctors monitor the health of workers exposed to asbestos.
Nickel (CAS 7440-02-0) is a hard, silver-white metal that exists naturally in the earth’s crust. It’s in small amounts in food, water, air and soil.
The main uses of nickel are:
- industrial plating
- as an insulating agent
- as a catalyst
- in mineral oil lubricant
- in welding and soldering
- in making stainless steel and alloys.
Examples of work activities involving nickel include:
- nickel refining
- making, welding and cutting stainless steel and nickel alloys
- nickel plating and electroplating
- packing nickel powders and alloys
- maintaining plant and equipment for nickel processes.
There are also health monitoring guides for: