This document contains the list of workplace exposure standards (WES) and guidance on their application. Compliance with the WES is required under jurisdictional Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws.
The latest update to this document reduces the WES for respirable crystalline silica under the model WHS laws to a TWA of 0.05 mg/m3.
The updated WES for respirable crystalline silica will not have effect in a jurisdiction until it is implemented by that jurisdiction. You can see below which jurisdictions have implemented this update. However, you should contact your WHS regulator to confirm whether the update to the WES applies in your jurisdiction, and if you need advice about how this change may affect your workplace.
Implementation of the updated WES for respirable crystalline silica current as at 30 June 2020
- Victoria: 17 December 2019
- South Australia: 1 July 2020
- Queensland (WHS): 1 July 2020
- Australian Capital Territory: 1 July 2020
- Northern Territory: 1 July 2020
- New South Wales: 1 July 2020
- Commonwealth: 1 July 2020