This model Code of Practice has been developed to provide practical guidance to principal contractors and other persons conducting a business or undertaking who carry out construction work on how to meet the health and safety requirements under the WHS Act and Regulations applying in a jurisdiction relating to construction work.
This model Code should be read in conjunction with other codes of practice on specific hazards and control measures relevant to the construction industry including:
- Demolition work
- Excavation work
- Managing the risk of falls at workplaces
- Managing noise and preventing hearing loss at work
- Preventing falls in housing construction
- Confined spaces
- Hazardous manual tasks
- How to manage and control asbestos in the workplace
- How to safely remove asbestos.
To have legal effect in a jurisdiction, the model Code of Practice must be approved as a code of practice in that jurisdiction. To determine if this model Code of Practice has been approved as a code of practice in a particular jurisdiction, check with the relevant regulator.