Health monitoring for isocyanates
This guide helps doctors monitor the health of workers exposed to isocyanates.
Isocyanates are a group of highly reactive, organic compounds of the formula R-N=C=O.
Examples of work with isocyanates include work where you release isocyanates as vapours, aerosols and mists, such as:
- spray painting, using two-pack paints with an isocyanate hardener in vehicle paints
- using rigid foams for heat insulation
- using flexible foams for bedding and upholstery
- using hard-wearing coatings for furniture and floors
- making sporting goods such as skis, surfboards and footwear
- spray on polyurethane products
Isocyanates are also in:
- processes where heat breaks down polyurethane products
- foundry operations.
This guide is part of a health monitoring guide collection.
There are also health monitoring guides for:
- persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU)
- guide for workers
- registered medical practitioners
- hazardous chemicals.