Isocyanates are hazardous chemicals used to manufacture polyurethane foams, rubbers, plastics, varnishes, adhesives and paints.
Isocyanates should not be confused with cyanates, isocyanides or cyanides which have different properties and health effects.
You should use this Guide if you manage health and safety risks associated with the manufacture, storage, handling, generation and use of isocyanates in the workplace.
This Guide should be read in conjunction with the following Safe Work Australia documents:
- Workplace Exposure Standards for airborne contaminants
- Isocyanates – Hazardous Chemicals Requiring Health Monitoring
- Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals
- Code of Practice: Labelling of workplace hazardous chemicals
- Code of Practice: Spray painting and powder coating