Cranes guidance material
This guidance provides information on how to manage the risks at a workplace associated with the inspection, maintenance and operation of cranes and other plant types, including quick hitches for earthmoving machinery.
- guidance on managing risks associated with cranes, including tower cranes and mobile cranes
- information sheets on how to manage risks associated with a number of crane variants and attachments, including:
- bridge and gantry cranes
- powered mobile plant used as a crane
- vessel mounted cranes
- vehicle loading cranes, and
- crane-lifted work boxes
- an information sheet on quick hitches for earthmoving machinery
You should use this guidance if you are a worker or manage a worker who performs inspection, maintenance or operates a crane or quick hitches for earthmoving machinery, or require specific guidance on the crane operations listed above.
For information on high risk work licensing requirements for crane operation see:
- High risk work licensing for vehicle loading cranes information sheet
- High risk work licensing for bridge and gantry cranes information sheet
- High risk work licensing for dogging information sheet
For more information on the risks associated with plant see:
Further information high risk work categories and related licensing requirements.
Topic: Plant and equipment
Type: Guidance material
Publication Date: 7/12/2015