Cranes guidance material
This guidance provides information for PCBUs on how to manage the risks at a workplace associated with the inspection, maintenance and operation of cranes and other plant types, including quick hitches for earthmoving machinery.
- guidance on managing risks associated with cranes, including tower cranes and mobile cranes
- information sheets on how to manage risks associated with a number of crane variants and attachments, including:
- bridge and gantry cranes
- powered mobile plant used as a crane
- vessel mounted cranes
- vehicle loading cranes, and
- crane-lifted work boxes
- an information sheet on quick hitches for earthmoving machinery.
The Guide to Tower Cranes was amended on 21 March 2016 and republished in July 2016. An amendments table listing the amendments is included in the current version below. The previous version of the Guide, published in December 2015, is located on the historical versions page. The content of the other documents in the cranes guidance material package has not changed since they were last published in December 2015.
For information on high risk work licensing requirements for crane operation see:
- High risk work licensing for vehicle loading cranes information sheet
- High risk work licensing for bridge and gantry cranes information sheet
- High risk work licensing for dogging information sheet
For more information on the risks associated with plant see: Code of Practice – Managing the Risks of Plant in the Workplace.
For more information on high risk work see: high risk work categories and related licensing requirements.
Topic: Plant and equipment
Type: Guidance material
Publication Date: 15/08/2016