A PCBU must ensure an emergency plan is prepared for the workplace. This is a written set of instructions that outlines what workers and others at the workplace should do in an emergency. It must provide for the following:
- emergency procedures, including an effective response to an emergency
- evacuation procedures
- notifying emergency service organisations at the earliest opportunity
- medical treatment and assistance
- effective communication between the person authorised to coordinate the emergency response and all people at the workplace
- testing of the emergency procedures—including the frequency of testing
- information, training and instruction to relevant workers in relation to implementing the emergency procedures.