Data released by Safe Work Australia in the report Work-related fatalities involving trucks, Australia 2003 to 2012 show an alarming number of Australia’s truck drivers are being killed at work each year.
The report outlines target areas to help reduce truck-related fatalities, including:
- managing public road travel to reduce fatigue and using appropriate speed for the conditions
- ensuring that vehicles are braked appropriately
- increasing awareness of pedestrian workers and members of the public
- ensuring that vehicles and equipment are maintained appropriately and used correctly
- improving protection from falls for those working at heights, and
- ensuring cargo is appropriately restrained particularly during unloading operations.
View the Work-related fatalities involving trucks, Australia 2003 to 2012 report.
View the trucks driving fatalities media release.