Australia is continuing to closely monitor the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). Cases of the COVID-19 virus are increasing in Australia and the situation is changing rapidly. You can access the latest information from australia.gov.au.
The Prime Minister, the Hon Scott Morrison MP, has advised that employers should allow workers to work from home wherever and whenever they can. Here you will find advice on how to minimise the risk of exposure to COVID-19 in your workplace and help limit the spread.
All employers are also encouraged to consider alternative ways of delivering their business practices and services, such as switching to online ordering, payment and delivery. If it is not possible to work from home or redesign practices, it is vital that no worker comes to work if they have any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, and shortness of breath. If unwell, workers should contact their primary health care provider, who can liaise with the local public health authority to determine when it is safe for them to return to work.
To keep workers safe and limit the spread of COVID-19, every employer should do the following at their workplace:
- allow workers to work from home, where possible
- ensure physical distancing by keeping a distance of at least 1.5 metres between people
- encouraging all workers to frequently wash their hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and practice good hygiene
- be aware of how to spot COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat and shortness of breath) and make sure workers do not come to work if they are unwell
- make sure your workplace is regularly cleaned and disinfected
- have signs and posters around the workplace to remind workers and others of the risks of COVID-19 and the measures that are necessary to stop its spread.
For more information, see the business resource kit.
Business resource kit - COVID-19This section includes a range of resources for business to download and display in their workplaces, including checklists, infographics, fact sheets for industry and posters on handwashing, hygiene and physical distancing.
> More about fact sheets and industry specific information COVID-19
Workers’ compensation and COVID-19 This section includes information on workers’ compensation arrangements and how they might apply during COVID-19. This section also includes contact details for Commonwealth, state and territory workers’ compensation authorities.
> More about workers’ compensation and COVID-19
Staying informed about COVID-19 You must keep up to date with the latest COVID-19 information and advice from Government agencies across Australia on australia.gov.au. This section includes links resources on health, workplace entitlements, tax, travel advice, visas, payments and other Government support.
> More about staying informed about COVID-19