SafeWork NSW is the state’s workplace health and safety regulator (with the exception of mines and petroleum sites). It focuses on harm prevention and improving the safety culture in NSW workplaces.
- offers advice on improving work health and safety
- provides licensing and registration for potentially dangerous work
- provides testing services
- investigates workplace incidents
- information on electrical work, and
- enforces work health and safety laws in NSW.
NSW Resources Regulator
The NSW Resources Regulator is the state’s work health and safety regulator for mines and petroleum sites. This includes open-cut and underground mines, petroleum sites, quarries and extractive operations, tourist mines, opal and other small scale mines and mining exploration activities.
- receives and considers complaints, safety incident notifications and requests from interested parties
- provides information and guidance about safety and other regulatory obligations to protect and support industry, workers, the community and the state
- conducts inspections and investigations
- assesses licensing and registration applications
- assesses and grants applications for occupational licences (practising certificates and certificates of competence)
- takes enforcement action such as issuing prohibition and other statutory notices and taking prosecution action
- supports and administers the NSW Mine Safety Advisory Council and NSW Mining and Petroleum Competence Board, and
- administers the mine and petroleum site safety fund (mine safety levy).
State Insurance Regulatory Authority
The State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) is the NSW government agency responsible for regulating workers and home building compensation insurance and motor accidents compulsory third party (CTP) insurance.
NSW Government – Planning and Environment – Energy, Water and Portfolio Strategy
For electrical safety and regulatory matters in NSW.
Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal NSW (IPART)
IPART is the NSW government agency licence administrator of energy and scheme administrator and regulator for the Energy Savings Scheme.
Phone: (02) 9290 8400
NSW Fair Trading
Electrical Safety and licensing in NSW.
Phone: 13 32 20