Our graduate program offers exciting opportunities across multiple disciplines in our Canberra office.
Our graduates make a difference and help us shape healthy, safe and productive workplaces.
About our graduate program
As one of our graduates, you’ll be based in Canberra and get the benefits of working in the Australian Public Service as well as hands-on, practical experience and the opportunity to contribute to meaningful work.
We’ll support your learning and development with plenty of opportunities to refine and build your skills.
Watch the video to meet some of our past graduates and hear about their experience in the Safe Work Australia graduate program.
Applications for the Safe Work Australia 2021 graduate program are now closed but we will be accepting applications for our 2022 program soon.
In addition to our own recruitment process, we are also participating in the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP) and the Indigenous Graduate Pathway. You can find out more about these and how to apply below.
The Australian Government offers graduates job opportunities across multiple disciplines.
We are a participating agency in the Generalist, Data and STEM streams. Applying to one of these streams means you only have to go through the application and selection process once to be considered for a range of Australian Government agencies.
Indigenous Graduate Pathway
This year we are participating in centralised recruitment through the Indigenous Graduate Pathway. As an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander you will be able to complete one application and be considered for multiple Agencies and Departments within the Australian Public Service (APS).
Who we are
We’re a small Commonwealth agency in the Australian Public Service of around 100 people, but our work has a big impact, affecting more than 13.5 million working Australians and their families.
We’re nationally and internationally recognised and contribute to best-practice work health and safety and workers’ compensation policy.
Who we’re looking for
We welcome applicants from multiple disciplines who want to contribute to healthy and safe Australian workplaces. More details regarding the disciplines we are targeting for our 2022 graduate program will be available soon.
What we offer
Here are a few things you can expect in our graduate program:
- generous remuneration package and employer superannuation contributions
- attractive working conditions including generous leave entitlements and flexible work arrangements
- access to a range of health and wellbeing initiatives
- participation in the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) Graduate Development Program
- three workplace rotations designed to develop your capabilities and broaden your understanding of the Agency
- completion of a major project, as part of the Graduate Development Program
- a mentoring program
- ongoing employment once you complete the graduate program, and
- relocation assistance if you live outside of Canberra.
We’re committed to diversity and inclusion, driven by our very active and award-winning employee-led Workplace Inclusion Network.
Find out more about working at Safe Work Australia.
2022 Graduate Program Recruitment
We are currently in the planning stages of our 2022 Graduate Program. Continue to check back here for updates on our launch date. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility for our graduate program
- To be a part of our 2022 graduate program you must meet the following criteria:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed (within the last five years) or will complete by January 2022, an undergraduate or postgraduate degree with a credit average or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution
- undertake a police and character check
- be able to commence full time work in Canberra by February 2022, and
- be willing to relocate to Canberra (we will assist with your relocation where required).