Safe Work Australia’s graduate program offers exciting opportunities in our Canberra office across multiple disciplines.
Our graduates make a difference and help us shape healthy, safe and productive workplaces.
About our graduate program
Applications for the Safe Work Australia 2021 graduate program are now closed.
As a Safe Work Australia graduate, you’ll be based in Canberra and get the benefits of working in the Australian Public Service as well as hands-on, practical experience and the opportunity to contribute to meaningful work.
We’ll support your learning and development with plenty of opportunities to refine and build your skills.
Who we are
We’re a small Commonwealth agency in the Australian Public Service of around 100 people, but our work has a big impact, affecting more than 12.5 million working Australians and their families.
We’re nationally and internationally recognised and contribute to best-practice work health and safety and workers’ compensation policy.
Who we’re looking for
We welcome graduates from multiple disciplines who are motivated to contribute to healthy and safe Australian workplaces. If you believe you could be a good fit within the Agency, then our graduate program is for you.
We want to hear from you if you have a degree in any of the following or related disciplines:
- public policy - we lead the development and improvement of national work health and safety policy and workers’ compensation arrangements
- public health - we drive improvements in the health and safety of workers through national policies and strategies
- law - we provide in-house legal advisory services on legislation and public policy, and
- business and commerce - supporting the Agency through effective corporate services, human resources and communications
Eligibility for our graduate program
To be a part of our 2021 graduate program you must meet the following criteria:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed (within the last five years) or will complete by January 2021, an undergraduate or postgraduate degree with a credit average or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution
- undertake a police and character check
- be able to commence full time work in Canberra by February 2021, and
- be willing to relocate to Canberra (we will assist with your relocation where required).
What we offer
Here are a few things you can expect in our graduate program:
- generous remuneration package and employer superannuation contributions
- attractive working conditions including generous leave entitlements and flexible work arrangements
- access to a range of health and wellbeing initiatives
- participation in the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) Graduate Development Program
- three workplace rotations designed to develop your capabilities and broaden your understanding of the Agency
- completion of a major project, as coordinated through the Graduate Development Program
- a mentoring program
- ongoing employment once you complete the graduate program, and
- relocation assistance if you live outside of Canberra.
We’re committed to diversity and inclusion, driven by our very active and award-winning employee-led Workplace Inclusion Network.
Find out more about working at Safe Work Australia.
We will consider all CVs and video submissions and contact successful candidates for a virtual interview. The interviews will be held in late November or early December, and will also include a written task to assess your conceptual, analytical and written communication skills.
We’ll make offers of employment in December 2020 and then commence the graduate program in February 2021. Please note that our graduate program is based in Canberra and successful candidates will need to be located in Canberra to participate—don’t worry, we help with relocations if required.
If you are made an offer of employment in Safe Work Australia, you will also be required to provide:
- proof of your Australian citizenship, and
- a copy of your academic transcript.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Meet our graduates
Watch the video to meet some of our past graduates and hear about their experience in the Safe Work Australia graduate program.