Major Hazard Facilities guides
Major hazard facilities (MHFs) are locations such as oil refineries, chemical plants and large fuel and chemical storage sites where large quantities of hazardous materials are stored, handled or processed.
Operators of determined MHFs have obligations to:
- Identify all major incidents and major incident hazards for the facility
- Conduct and document a safety assessment in relation to the operation of the facility that involves a comprehensive and systematic investigation and analysis of all aspects of risks to health and safety that could occur in the operation of the MHF
- Implement control measures that eliminate or minimise the risk of a major incident occurring at the MHF
- Prepare an emergency plan
- Establish a Safety Management System (SMS) for the operation of the MHF
- Prepare a Safety Case for the MHF that demonstrates that the MHF’s SMS will control risks arising from major incidents and major incident hazards and demonstrates the adequacy of the measures to be implemented by the operator to control risks associated with the occurrence of major incidents.
Safe Work Australia has developed guidance material for MHF operators to help them meet these obligations. This includes information on:
- Notification and determination of a MHF
- Safety assessment of a MHF
- Safety management systems for MHFs
- Developing a safety case outline for a MHF
- Preparation of a safety case for a MHF
- Safety Case: demonstrating the adequacy of safety management and control measures
- Information, training and instruction for workers and others at the facility
- Providing information to the community, and
- Developing an emergency plans for a MHF.
Major Hazard Facilities Guides
The following Major Hazard Facilities (MHF) Guides have been approved by Safe Work Australia Members.
- Providing information to the community
- Preparation of a safety case
- Safety case: Demonstrating the adequacy of safety management and control measures
- Emergency plans
- Notification and determination
- Safety Assessment
- Information, training and instruction for workers and other persons at the facility
- Safety Management Systems
- Developing a safety case outline