High risk work

The Commonwealth, state and territory work health and safety regulators issue licences in their jurisdiction. If you would like to apply, renew, have lost your licence or have questions relating to your licence please contact your work health and safety regulator.

The model Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations list the work that requires a high risk work licence. High risk work includes scaffolding, dogging and rigging work. It also involves using cranes, forklifts, reach stackers, boilers and boom-type elevating work platforms. In most instances if you carry out high risk work you will need a licence to undertake that type of work.

View the table of high risk work categories for more information on whether or not you need a high risk licence to carry out your work.

Work health and safety regulators accredit assessors to assess the competency of candidates that wish to apply for a high risk work licence.

Accredited assessors must use the National Assessment Instruments endorsed by Safe Work Australia and available from your work health and safety regulator to assess a candidate’s competency. A National Assessment Instrument is still under development for the Concrete Placing Boom class.

For more information on high risk work go to:

Safe Work Australia is working to finalise material for cranes. Visit the model Codes of Practice page and guidance material page for more information about these and other model Codes of Practice and guidance being developed as part of the package of harmonised work health and safety laws.

For more information on the units of competency for licensing under the model WHS Regulations, view the Skills Service Organisations contact details and relevant units of competency.


Questions should be emailed to info@swa.gov.au.

Quick links and Initiatives


Information Publication Scheme FOI Disclosure Log

Bottom navigation