Work health and safety in the construction industry is regulated by states and territories. For information about laws applying to you and your workplace, contact your work health and safety regulator.
For more information on construction go to:
- Chapter 6 of the model Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations
- model Code of Practice - Construction Work
- model Code of Practice - Demolition Work
- model Code of Practice - Excavation Work
- model Code of Practice - Safe Design of Structures, and
- model Code of Practice - Preventing Falls in Housing Construction
- Formwork and falsework guidance material
- Scaffolds and scaffolding work guidance material
The Australian Work Health and Safety Strategy 2012–2022 identifies the construction industry as a priority industry for action. Safe Work Australia and all jurisdictions are focusing on reducing traumatic injury fatalities, injuries and disorders in this industry during the first five years of the Australian Strategy. This will take place through collaborative partnerships with industry, unions, other organisations and the community.
Go to the Australian Strategy pages for more information on the priority industries.
Construction work can include a range of high risk work requiring licensed operators. More information is available in the licensing section of this website.