Occupational diseases are acute, recurring or chronic health problems caused or aggravated by work conditions or practices. Preventing or reducing work-related disease is a focus of the Australian Work Health and Safety Strategy 2012-2022, which identifies six priority work-related disorders. Research undertaken prior to 2012 focused on the priority work-related disorders identified in the National OHS Strategy 2002-2012.
Obtaining accurate and useful occupational disease information is challenging, costly and time consuming. Safe Work Australia is exploring a range of ways to collect data on occupational diseases and the workplace hazards that cause them.
Occupational disease reports:
- 2014: Factors contributing to the development of occupational contact dermatitis and occupational contact urticaria
- 2012: Occupational Contact Dermatitis: A review of 18 years of data from an occupational dermatology clinic in Australia
- 2008: Collecting Surveillance Data on Risks for Occupational Contact Dermatitis
- 2006: Occupational Contact Dermatitis in Australia
Noise-induced hearing loss
- 2010: Occupational Noise-induced Hearing Loss in Australia
- 2006: Work-related Noise Induced Hearing Loss in Australia
- 2013: The relationship between work characteristics, wellbeing, depression and workplace bullying - Technical findings from a survey of 32-36 year old workers in Canberra and Queanbeyan
- 2006: Work-Related Mental Disorders in Australia
- 2015: Work productivity loss in young workers
- 2006: Research on the Prevention of Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders Stage 1 - Literature review 2006
- 2006: Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Australia
Burden of long latency occupational diseases:
Safe Work Australia is examining the work-related burden of cardiovascular diseases . This work will help us understand and better prevent or manage cardiovascular disease in high-risk work groups.
Other occupational disease reports:
- 2006: Work-related cardio-vascular disease Australia
- 2006: Work-related Infectious and Parasitic Diseases Australia
- 2006: Occupational Respiratory Diseases in Australia
- 2006: Occupational Cancer in Australia
- 1989: Diseases Acquired from Animals