Commonwealth and national regulators
Contacts listed on this page:
- The National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA)
- National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS)
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)
- Seafarers Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Authority (Seacare)
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)
Comcare works in partnership with employees and employers to reduce the human and financial costs of workplace injuries and disease in the Commonwealth jurisdiction.
The Comcare scheme provides rehabilitation and workers' compensation and occupational health and safety arrangements for Australian Government employees and for the employees of organisations which self-insure under the scheme.
Phone: 1300 366 979
The National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA)
NOPSEMA is a Commonwealth statutory agency regulating the health and safety, structural integrity, and environmental management of all offshore petroleum facilities in Commonwealth waters, and in coastal waters where state powers have been conferred.
National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS)
NICNAS is the Australian Government regulator of industrial chemicals. NICNAS is responsible for:
- providing a national notification and assessment scheme to protect the health of the public, workers and the environment from the harmful effect of industrial chemicals, and
- assessing all chemicals new to Australia and those chemicals already used (existing chemicals) on a priority basis, in response to concerns about their safety on health and environmental grounds.
Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)
AMSA regulates and provides maritime safety, marine environment protection and pollution response and maritime and aviation search and rescue services to the Australian maritime industry.
Phone: 02 6279 5000
Phone: maritime emergency - 1800 641 792
Phone: aviation emergency - 1800 815 257
Phone: 1300 696 487
Seafarers Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Authority (Seacare)
Seacare assists the Australian maritime industry in minimising the human and financial costs of workplace injury.
Seacare is a national scheme of occupational health and safety (OHS), rehabilitation and workers’ compensation arrangements which applies to defined seafaring employees and defined third parties in relation to OHS.
Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)
CASA's primary function is to conduct the safety regulation of civil air operations in Australia and the operation of Australian aircraft overseas. CASA is also provides comprehensive safety education and training programs.
Phone: 131 757
Phone: 1800 074 737 – CASA hotline to report safety risks