Model Work Health and Safety Regulations
The model WHS Regulations were developed under the Intergovernmental Agreement for Regulatory and Operational Reform in OHS.
The model WHS Regulations were finalised in November 2011.
The model WHS Regulations are model provisions only. To be legally binding they need to be enacted or passed by Parliament in each jurisdiction.
Updated model WHS Regulations
The revised version dated 9 January 2014 incorporates technical amendments made to correct inadvertent errors, clarify policy intent and address workability issues.
Summary of technical amendments
This list summarises key technical amendments to the model Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations. These amendments apply mainly to high risk work, diving work, plant, asbestos and major hazard facilities.
The following amendments, although included in the 9 January 2014 version, involve policy changes and are still subject to Ministerial approval:
- competency requirements for ‘general diving work’ (old regulation 171(a)(ii))
- protective structures on earthmoving machinery (regulation 217), and
- design verifier requirements (regulation 252)
Note: These amendments do not automatically apply. Each participating jurisdiction makes the amendments through their own law-making processes and the timeframes for this will vary. Check details about implementation with your local WHS regulator.
- Summary of technical amendments made to the model, 9 January 2014 (Summary of technical amendments made to the model, 9 January 2014PDF 176kb | Summary of technical amendments made to the model, 9 January 2014DOC 71kb)
- Model Work Health and Safety Regulations - Transitional Principles
- Guide to the Model Work Health and Safety Regulations
- Workplace Exposure Standards for Airborne Contaminants
- Model WHS Regulations previous version (November 2011) (Model WHS Regulations previous version (November 2011)PDF 2MB | Model WHS Regulations previous version (November 2011)DOCX 2MB)
Publication Date: 9/01/2014
|ISBN||Title / Download||File Format||File Size|
|Model Work Health and Safety Regulations (9 January 2014)||2.11 MB|
|Model Work Health and Safety Regulations (9 January 2014)||doc||7.59 MB|